A Strategic Plan will prevent another Bourke St Rampage

 

The Bourke St rampage of Jan 2017 had its first anniversary this year. With the pain and loss still raw for the families of the victims, this was a time for remembrance and healing.’

Bourke St is Melbourne’s only retail ‘main street’ Mall. The Mall, located between Elizabeth and Swanston St is banned to vehicular traffic from 6am until midnight. It can however be easily breached as the Trams have access at all times.

AML have a good knowledge of the precinct through an associate who managed portable displays in the Mall for over 10 years. The Mall can easily be locked down with sensor operated bollards or boom gates for Trams and strategically deployed florals. For major events mobile crash barriers can be situated effectively to ensure minimal risk.

We pay our respects to the victims and their families and pray that such an event doesn’t occur again. Here is the report from the ABC on the memorial ceremony and those participating.

Bourke Street car attack anniversary marked at memorial service in Melbourne

9352588-3x2-700x467

Kurt and Emily Mudie paid tribute to their sister Jess, who died after the attack.

Family members of victims of the Bourke Street car attack have spoken of how they miss their loved ones and thanked the public for their care and support at a memorial service in Melbourne.

Six people were killed and many more injured when a car drove through the busy Bourke Street mall and along the footpath for several blocks on January 20, 2017.

Three-month-old Zachary Bryant, Thalia Hakin, 10, Matthew Si, 33, Yosuke Kanno, 25 and Jess Mudie, 22, were all killed after being hit along Bourke St.

Emily and Kurt Mudie delivered a tribute to their sister Jess, who was Emily’s twin.
“She was the most amazing person that I know, she would never ever fail to put a smile on my face, and I loved doing anything with her,” Ms Mudie said.

Ms Mudie said her sister would never leave her and continued to motivate her, as she had in life.

Mr Mudie said he had always tried to be there for his sister, but she had always been there for him.

The siblings sent love to their families and friends, to those who had been on Bourke Street on that day, and others who had lost loved ones.

“We know that this is a super-crap time, but I’m told time is a great healer and we will always be there for you if you ever need it,” Ms Mudie said.

8201806-3x2-340x227

Matthew Si, 33, was a loving husband and father, his wife Melinda Tan said.

The wife of Matthew Si, Melinda Tan, said she had been supported by many through the heartbreak of losing her husband.

“The pain of losing Matt will never disappear,” she said.

“His time with us was cut short, he was only 33 years old and he was always rushing home to our daughter Aria.

“That day he dropped her off at childcare and never came back. I’ve had to adjust to a new life that will always be missing a loving husband and father.”

Ms Tan said she was comforted that emergency crews did their best to save her husband and that he did not suffer alone.

Melbourne Symphony Orchestra’s Sophie Rowell performed a violin solo for Mr Si, who was himself an accomplished violinist.

Matthew Bryant, the father of three-month-old Zachary Bryant, fought back tears as he spoke about his son.

8205850-1x1-340x340

Zara (left) with her brother Zachary Bryant (right). Their father said he had looked at the two of them on Christmas morning in 2016 and thought life was perfect.

“Our connection with Zachy started long before he was born — we named him a couple of months into the pregnancy and couldn’t have been more excited to welcome that little man into our family.

“From the first time I held him, it was pure love.”

Mr Bryant said he would always be grateful and blessed to be Zachary’s father.
The couple had a third child, Zayne, last month, joining their older daughter Zara, who was with Zachary when he died.

“While he unfortunately will never have the chance to meet his older brother, we endeavour to always keep the memory of Zachy strong and alive,” Mr Bryant said.
Victorian Governor Linda Dessau honoured those who had been injured, the first responders and families who had lost loved ones.

9352612-3x2-700x467

The families of victims and Victoria’s leaders paid tribute to emergency service workers at the memorial.

“To show that we have not forgotten your loss, and to offer you whatever support and comfort that we can.”

She also paid tribute to civilians who helped on the day.

“Those who responded when they found themselves in the midst of something for which they could not possibly have been prepared … who did all they could do to humanly help and provided us with a much appreciated beacon of hope by their goodness.”

The accused driver, James Gargasoulas, 27, has pleaded not guilty to murder and attempted murder charges.

‘Tragedy will not define us’

Premier Daniel Andrews said Victorians had responded to “one act of evil with countless acts of empathy, compassion and, most importantly, love”.

“No words will ever be enough, nothing can ever undo the damage, but I hope that there is some small measure of comfort in knowing that you are not alone,” he said.

On Saturday, which was exactly one year since the incident, a private ceremony involving family and friends of those who died, as well as those who were injured, was held at the Parliament Gardens Reserve.

Two plaques were also unveiled — one in the pavement and one on a park chair.

“In memory of those whose lives were lost in Bourke Street on 20 January 2017 and in recognition of others who were injured or affected by this tragedy,” they read.

8206614-3x2-700x467

Flowers, toys and notes were left along Bourke Street in the days after the attack last year.

While some left flowers and notes at the reserve and also at different places along Bourke St, there was no official service on Saturday.

Source: abc.net.au

 

Prevention Requires Planning – New Year’s Eve 2017

With half a million people likely to attend this year’s Melbourne Fireworks Displays for New Year’s Eve, the real planning to protect the public commenced months and months ago – probably immediately after last year’s successful event. Equally for those who would cause harm, their planning also commenced around the same time.

4449094-3x2-940x627

Read this article from the BBC on the man charged with planning an attack on the event this year, Mr Ali Ali.

Melbourne man planned New Year’s Eve terror attack, police say

Australian police have arrested a man they allege was planning to carry out a terror attack during New Year’s Eve celebrations in Melbourne.

Ali Khalif Shire Ali, 20, will be charged with terrorism offences that carry a maximum penalty of life in prison, authorities said.

ddfae6ce1c7359a58de383d14e4370c5

Police allege he had planned to shoot people with an automatic gun at Federation Square in the city’s centre.

There is no ongoing threat to the public, police said.

Last year, about 500,000 people celebrated New Year’s Eve in Melbourne’s city centre.

FREE-16-The-Big-Bang-NYE-Fireworks-650x433

Authorities said Mr Ali was born in Australia to Somali parents and had been monitored by police as a “person of interest” since January.

They said he had not obtained an automatic weapon before his arrest in Werribee, a Melbourne suburb, on Monday.

“What we will be alleging is that he was intending to use a firearm to shoot and kill as many people as he could,” Victoria police deputy commissioner Shane Patton said on Tuesday.

“This is a person who would become particularly energised, for a lack of a better word, when overseas [terrorism] events occurred and would express a great deal of interest in committing an attack himself.”

No other suspects

Mr Ali had obtained an al-Qaeda manual online with instructions for staging a terrorist attack, and was a sympathiser of so-called Islamic State, according to police.

Mr Patton said he had connections with extremists but was believed to be acting alone. No further arrests were expected.

Search warrants were executed at Mr Ali’s home, a business where he had worked, and a relative’s property.

The arrest was not linked to previous operations, police said.

Last year, police said they had foiled a major terror attack planned for Christmas Day in Melbourne, with Federation Square also among its alleged targets.

Australian police have charged 74 people in counter-terrorism investigations since 2014, when the nation’s terror threat level was raised to “probable”.

Source: bbc.com

1451628741570

Consider this. The organisations sponsoring such random attacks are not organised local Militia. In 90% of cases, the individuals ultimately involved are in fact mentally unbalanced. The approach taken by extremists such as the ISIS group is to appeal to such persons. The logic is simple. Those suffering from a mental affliction are unpredictable and quite often unaffected by the laws of society. They live in an alternative reality – their own delusions.

 

So in preparing for such an event, when planning it is imperative that Security Agencies look past the stuff that Intelligence Agencies focus on and deal with the real ‘what if’ contingencies of vehicular attack, weapons or explosives. The religion, political position or country of origin make little difference when security is breached. The real objective is to protect lives. To make secure the public areas and patrons attending.

The crowds on New Year’s Eve create huge no-go zones for vehicular traffic, that is unless of course the driver of a vehicle wishes to cause harm.

What such people look for is an easy breach, an entry that is not blocked or patrolled. Witness the carnage at Nice in France or even here in Melbourne. Quite simply, what is required are portable crash barriers – units able to be easily deployed and removed. Cost effective and capable of preventing any vehicle from entering a prohibited area for a designated period only.

The Meridian Crash Barriers supplied by AML Risk Management do just that. Patrons enjoying the Fireworks can be assured of their safety and their peace of mind. View the range of equipment available here

meridian-crash-barriers-3

The Meridian Crash Barriers are rated to stop a fully laden vehicle travelling at up to 48km/h. The units can easily be deployed using one or two people.

cropped-profile-pic.pngFor further information, please call 03 9326 2244 for a prompt response from a member of our trained and experienced team, or leave your details here

AML Risk Management – Preparation, Planning and Protection